Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Free Health Care??? Biggest Scam Yet.

If there is one thing that boils my blood, it's false advertising.  'Oh, you'll have FREE healthcare in Scotland'... Well, that depends on your definition of free.  A tax of 20% on all goods, to start, does not exactly equate to 'free' for me.  But, I self admittedly am not very good at math.

So, all I wanted was my annual gynecological exam, a health form filled out for school and some vaccinations needed for vet school.  I first scheduled the gyno exam and was told to discuss my paperwork for the vaccinations when I arrived.  Since my appointment was still 2 weeks away, I decided to take my paperwork to my doctor's office so they would have it before my appointment.  I already knew I would have to pay for some of the vaccines, but I was fine with that since they are not something everybody needs.

The half-page form I needed filled out requests the following information:

Height
Weight
Blood Pressure
Pulse

And, to describe any abnormalities of the following:

Eyes
ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat)
Neck
Heart
Breast
Abdomen
Rectum
Nervous System
Genitalia
Extremities

It requires a signature by a physician.

This is where it gets really interesting.  Pay attention.  I don't know about the rest of you ladies, but my ob/gyn from the States does a thorough examination in addition to performing a pap smear.  Because, yes, I'd really like to know if she finds a lump in my breast that I've missed, an abnormality in my abdomen (like where my ovaries and uterus are located), any swollen lymph nodes, etc.  She also would tend to discuss with me relevant issues that may affect my health...my relationships, diet, any major changes in my life, emotional well-being, medications, etc.  You know, all the normal stuff, right?

I am informed by the lovely receptionist that I will need a separate appointment to get this form filled out.  Why, I ask?  I am getting seen by a gynecologist and fairly certain she/he will be able to easily complete this form.  Oh no, it is a nurse and she is ONLY doing a pap smear.  Like, as in not even checking ANYTHING else.  Wow, really?  You are going to have a nurse get me in the stirrups, take a swab, and be done with the deal?  Not even she is going to take a peek around while I'm all there for her to see?  Nope. Not even throw a stethoscope on my chest/lungs to have a listen?  Nope. How about a breast exam.  No, not done here.

I informed them they have never even done a physical on me and do they not practice preventative medicine here?  No, they really don't. I said, 'So, you do not do a physical exam to find a baseline on your new patients'. That answer is No again.  They said I could have a complementary 'chat' with the nurse and she would do my height, weight, BP and I could drop off a urine sample.  Gee, thanks. Do I get a free cup of coffee with that? I told them that I wanted EVERYTHING checked by a doctor because lo and behold, I am NOT a doctor and would really like someone to listen to my heart, look in my ears and make sure their trained eyes do not see anything out of the ordinary.

They advised me they can help with my request! Alright, I'm now getting somewhere. Yes, I can have all of that and more for a mere £120.  That is $200USD to look me over with out even a prick of my skin!!!!  After my jaw hit the floor, I said, "So, this really isn't free healthcare, is it?"  I had two ladies dealing with my smarty pants by this time and they literally stared at me for 30 seconds before saying, 'Well, our system is different than yours'.  You think?  I passed on the offer. Not sure what I would have done if they would have said, 'But wait, there's more.  For £120 you can have your form filled out and we'll throw in a free colonoscopy.  And, if you book your appointment TODAY, we'll give you this handsome 'I survived the NHS (National Healthcare System) t-shirt in either happy, pastel pink or dashing green.'

Moving on to the vaccinations.  I am asked to fill out a form so that they may research exactly what I need.  Wait a minute....I am GIVING you a form by the vet school as to EXACTLY what I need.  And what I really need, is to make an appointment so that we can get started. The 'consultation' fee to do the research is £25, or $42USD and then I get to pay for all of the vaccinations as well...anywhere from £30-40 per shot.  Oh, and it will take them a week to 'research' what I need (it's ON THE FORM) and then I could make an appointment, which will take 1-2 weeks to get in. <Bangs head on desk so hard it starts to bleed profusely>.  Oh wait, NOW I can go get my 'free' healthcare to get all stitched up. Perfect system.

So yeah, Scotland can take their 'free' healthcare and shove it up into a place that I can't get them to look at on me for less than 200 bucks. I'll pass on the free pap smear.  I don't trust you to read the results correctly anyways.  

I'm not going to start on my political rant....but, just know that THIS is what happens when the government sticks their nose where they shouldn't.  Only the sick are seen here.  There is no such thing as preventative care.  It's only for the well-to-do.  And don't even get me started on dental.

I am soooooo Over-N-Out

1 comment:

  1. Are you signed up with the University Medical Group? They should know what they are doing with regards to your vaccines. For a thorough gyno check up, you go to the Sexual Health Clinic, which has just moved to Chalmers Street (off the Meadows) - that is free, as are contraceptives through them (how is that for savings?). You can get extra insurance for dental, but you just need to shop around for dentists taking new NHS patients. It took us about 4 months, but we have someone very nice now.

    ReplyDelete