Sunday, September 12, 2010

Liar,liar

ok, so I lied, but not intentionally.  I really did not want to get back on that bus and do another all day trip on such a beautiful day, so I walked to City Centre and did some other much needed shopping. This is my flat when I left (trust me, the garden in front is a huge improvement).  I have the bay window (which I could see my dogs standing on the couch looking for me) and the window to the left is the front guest room. The red door is the main door to the tenement. There are 4 floors, 2 flats on each floor.  I actually cut a rose from the garden today.















The next pic is of me walking down my street towards the park.



Then, I missed my flat and looked back up the street...
















My hood is pretty spectacular, but 1.5 blocks down the street, is this to the left, which is called Bruntsfield Links, because it actually has a 'golf course' in the middle of the park.
















Then, straight ahead is The Meadows which stretches on forever and ever...

Notice the buildings in the background here. This is the new, mixed with the old, ritzy development called the Quarter Mile.  It is is adjacent to part of the main campus of the University of Edinburgh.






and the 'hill' in the background is an inactive volcano. This is basically in the middle of town. It also has a lovely crag to climb, of which my lazy butt has not done yet.

This is one of the many paths crisscrossing through the ginormous Meadows.  As you can see, there is a dedicated bike path on one side and a pedestrian path on the other.  Whilst a very bike-friendly town, it is a closely, slightly watered down experience to biking in Manhattan, most likely.  Plus, everything is totally backwards with respect to which way you need to look for cars, buses, pedestrians, mothers pushing their babies across the street, other bikes, etc....





And all of the peeps you see in this picure are either 1. sitting on the grass drinking, 2. playing 'football or 3. wishing they were sitting on the grass drinking.'  This picture represents one twentieth of the Meadows.




And, the Quarter Mile closer up.  The Starbucks is on the left of the blue construction fence and the QM on the right.

I hope you have enjoyed the pictures from my day today.  I ended  up finding a great bargain store for some hardware items and then went grocery shopping here, next to the Starbucks at a typical tiny European 'grocery store' called Sainsbury's.



CHEERS!


No comments:

Post a Comment