Sunday, September 12, 2010

shopping, shopping, shopping

This better be my last day of serious shopping.  I wanted to go last night to get my linens, but the mall closes at 630pm on Saturday's.....what??  So, it changed all of my plans because I was also going to eat out.  I ended up going a block away, grabbing some boneless, skinless, chicken breasts and coming back to make a delicious chicken stir fry with veggies I had left over.  AND, I am in love with this little gem of a spice: 


It is so unbelievably good.  It's got a hot, smoky, chili, salt and pepper taste to it that works with a lot of things.  So far, I've used it on my chicken and also to make a very yummy bloody mary!  I also think it will be tasty on vegetables. 

Today's main shopping outing is to get some of the things from yesterday that I simply had no room left to carry.  For instance, I want to go back to the sporting goods store that has incredible deals on sweats - the really good, thick, warm ones.  I have a feeling I will be living in these in my flat.  I also still need a laundry hamper since the laundry basket is actually being used for what it was designed - taking wet clothes out of the washer/dryer (it's a combined unit, more on this later) and hanging them out to dry on the clothes line.Yes, the clothes line.  Why would I do that, you ask, when I have a dryer?  Good question.  Well, the dryer is not quite what we are used to in the US.  Unless you want to dry your clothes for about 2-3 hours, they are not going to get fully dried.  So after a short 'drying' period, they come out as very hot steamed items and are ready to be hung on the clothesline.  If you do dry them for hours in the dryer, they then look like you had them balled up for a week's time and need serious ironing.  It is just easier to dry them outside.  Plus, they really do smell spring fresh.  It has humored me that a place known for it's rain, cold and dampness refuses to use dryers for the most part and relies on the 'drying greens'.  One of the many mysteries here.

For now, I am off to get cleaned up and tackle the buses, people and shopping once again.  Wish me luck. 

But first, with all that talk of food, time to make a Dagwood sangwich.

Over-N-Out




No comments:

Post a Comment