Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve and a Surprise

I cannot wrap my head around it.  It seems so surreal that today is Christmas Eve!  Today is my last day of my small mammal EMS and I'm actually a bit sad.  I know, right?  Get ready...for the surprise.  It's coming....wait a minute....I have fallen in love with Hermie...........a.....rat.  Who would have thunk it?  Hermie has won me over.  He/she (not sure, thus 'Hermie' for hermaphrodite) just loves running up and down my sweatshirt, in my sleeves and peeking its little head out the end underneath my palm.  I have actually committed the first of all no-no's and not only considered adopting this bugger, but actually went out and bought all of the goods....cage and all!  Sigh....I'm hopeless.  I am now having buyer's remorse before I even have brought it home.  I want to believe that the life I can give him is better than what he has...although he seems pretty darn good.  Rats are very sociable and intelligent and from 99% of what I've read, should at least live in pairs.  I just don't think I have time for two, am concerned about the dogs adjusting (I mean, they ARE bred for ratting!) and am hoping to travel quite a bit this summer.  The rescue organization boards these guys and it is pretty easy to find someone to house a cage in their flat for a few weeks, but.....I still just don't know.

So, I'm going to talk to the owner today and have a good think about it.  I don't want to take it home and then have to return him for any reason, although that's what 'foster parents' do.  Fostering has crossed my mind, but then you take them out of the shop and therefore out of the sight of a potential adopter.

Another huge downside is their lifespan.  It's only like 2.5-3 years.  Ack...just when you start really getting attached, they croak on you!  They are very easy to take care of, but do require interaction every day, as you cannot think they will be happy in their cage forever.  I dunno.....this is a tough one for me.  I would like to 'borrow' him for 2 weeks or so and see what I'm in for.

Well, at least I didn't do my EMS at the Humane Society.......

Off to get ready to clean cages again. We have made enormous progress on organizing the place and am really proud of how it looks.  Now, if we could only talk some motivation into some of the more permanent volunteers to keep it that way.  One step at a time........

Cheers and Happy Christmas Eve!!

Over-N-Out

No comments:

Post a Comment