Monday, December 20, 2010

Indentured Servant for a Week

Today, I officially started my EMS, which stands for Extra Mural Studies.  In the UK vet schools, you are required to do a LOT of EMS. Our first two years are comprised of pre-clinical, or animal husbandry, EMS of 12 weeks total.  The following 3 years, we have to complete 26 weeks of clinical EMS.  Bear in mind, these weeks are all on our own time during breaks and the summer.  So, that is 38 weeks total of EMS.  Can you say...not enough time to work and make any cashola?

My first 12 weeks, or animal husbandry EMS, is designed to give students an opportunity to handle and learn about different species of animals prior to 'working' on them.  We have to do: 2 weeks Cattle (to include 1 week UK dairy), 2 weeks Sheep (to include 1 week UK lambing), 1 week Pigs, 1 week Poultry, 1 week Dogs and Cats, 2 weeks Horses, 1 week Small Mammals, 2 weeks 'Free Choice' and 1 Day livestock market.
Because the students are SO young here due to the difference in education systems, they most likely have not had the animal handling experience that the students in the US have.  They basically start vet school out of high school, where we are post grads.  We are allowed to apply for a certain amount of exemptions, but there are specific guidelines to qualify.  Since I grew up with, showed and managed horses, I applied for exemption for my 2 weeks of horses.  I managed to get 2 weeks exemption for my Free Choice.  This is fine, it just means I can't use my free choice to investigate something new, or getting more experience in something I am really interested in... I will have to use it doing horses, which I am VERY comfortable handling already.  Oh well, I like horses, so that is ok with me.  And, I actually have no other experience, so the EMS deal suits me just fine.

I started my 1 week of small mammal EMS today.  I am working at a small mammal no-kill rescue organization.  Apparently, rabbits are the most neglected animals in the UK.  There are approximately 32 at this unit.  They also have hamsters, rats, guinea pigs, mice and ferrets.  Some of the animals are being boarded over the holidays.  What's interesting, is their website states that they do not believe in breeding animals, yet today they accepted 10 baby hamsters from a 'friend' who is a breeder and shows them.  Yes, you read correctly....he shows hamsters. So, he kept maybe one or two and dropped off 10 because they were useless to him.  They are 4 weeks and adorable, but this obviously goes against what they believe and this is a 'regular' drop off, so I'm a bit confused as to the message being sent.  I'm sure there is more to the story, so I'm trying hard not to be judgemental.

The rabbits are absolutely adorable and all seem happy, relaxed and clean.  I even held a rat today that was pretty darn cute.  I am basically serving the role of cleaner and feeder.  I cleaned a ga-dozen cages, fed animals, watered them, swept and mopped the floor and gave moral support to the other 3 vet students.  It was absolutely fah-reeeezing in the joint.  There is no central heat (and it's verrrry cold here), just a half-working space heater.  This is my major complaint, besides the fact that the bathroom was completely and utterly disgusting.  We had to pour the nasty, crap water from cleaning the cages in the toilet and it splashes all over it. I will let my bladder perforate before I use that toilet. Plus, there is no light in the bathroom and the sink is literally ripped away from the wall.  I really was wishing for some rubber gloves the entire time and will invest in some.  I'm not saying I expected cage cleaning to be the most glamorous job, because it's not, but done in a clean and warm surrounding environment is different than what I experienced.

I don't like to complain, because they are doing a great service and the best they can. This is simply me being grossed out about an environment I am not used to and would make some relatively minor changes to improve things greatly.  That's all.  I don't mind dirty, just not a fan of unclean...make sense? Like, just give me a clean, well-lit area with a big enough sink to clean the nasty stuff properly and not be surrounded in.....funk...and I'll be happy.  Got it?  Good.

With that... tomorrow is a new day and I'll wear warmer clothing.

Over-N-Out

1 comment:

  1. There you go using logic again! Institutions especially government institutions run on the "that's the way we have always done it" management principle tend to be impervious to change even small low cost changes. Combating this was my most important responsibility working at that BIG university for 30 years. Remember this when you get in charge of some element of a bureaucracy. Most people recognize that something should be done but few know how to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete