Sunday, December 12, 2010

Final Week of the Semester!

I truly cannot believe it. I am one week away from completing my first semester of veterinary school!  It has been a lot of work and I'm looking forward to the 'break'.   The exam system is completely different here, so it won't necessarily be a break complete from studying, but it will be devoid of any lectures, new projects, meetings and practicals.  You see, my US counterparts are finished/finishing up their final exams for all of their first semester classes before they leave for Christmas break.  We, on the other hand, do not have exams for our first semester classes until February!  In the US, they have had tests weekly leading up to the finals, whereas we will have only been graded on a few lab projects prior to taking our exams.  Sooooo, I will be studying my tail off during break.  I will also be doing one week of EMS (Extra Mural Studies) for small mammals.  I'm scheduled to do that Dec.20th - 24th.

My other major item to accomplish over break is finding and buying a car!  I cannot wait to have my wings again. I really need at times to be able to load the Bingo Boyz in a vehicle and just go drive somewhere.  I amlooking forward to all that a car will give me, other than the headache of owning a car here.  They are not exactly vehicle-friendly in the UK.  At all.  I need it to keep my sanity, frankly, so it is worth every penny in tax, parking permits, inspections and petrol.  As they say, 'Freedom is not free'.

My last week's schedule is light and I'm loving it. Here is what it entails:

Mon -
10-1050 Anatomy lecture - Trunk and Body wall
11-1130 Review with lab partner for Biosecurity Assessment
1210-1300 Meeting on intercalating a degree (getting a master's degree along with vet degree)
1400-1550 Anatomy dissection - Pharynx

Tues
10-1200  Anatomy dissection - The Body Wall
2-330pm Langhill Farm - Biosecurity Assessment

Wed
900-950 Lecture - Information Skills
1110-1300 Practical - Clinical Skills

7pm - Christmas dinner Catholic Student's Union

Thur
9-950 Lecture Sheep
10-1050 Lecture Pigs
1110-1200 Staff-Student Liaison mtg for Animal Health, Welfare and Food Safety

Fri
9-1050 Professional Studies - Ethics/Current Issues debate
1210-1300 Staff-Student Liaison mtg for Professional Studies

Overall, a very easy week considering what we have been doing.  Most students are going home and leaving anywhere from Friday, Dec. 17th to the 20th.  We are supposed to get an arctic storm towards the weekend again. I just pray all of my classmates can make it home safely and do not have any issues with transportation.

Sunday night and watching UFC fights, so I'm very happy.  I also made a great decision tonight.  It was between working out and going to mass.  As much as I need to work out, I chose the latter and am so happy I did.  A workout could not have given me that much satisfaction.  Plus, we had a little Christmas get together afterwards and it was lovely.  Someone made mulled wine.  It was warm and delicious!

Over-N-Out

2 comments: